Professor Ray Dagastine
- Atomic Force Microscopy and surface characterization
- Brownian Dynamics of Particles
- Chemical Product Formulation
- Dynamic forces in soft matter
- Emulsions and Foams
- Micro-Cantilever fabrication
Professor Ray Dagastine leads a research group in interfacial phenomena focused on the interactions between drops, bubbles and particles that control soft matter in the Dept of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering in the Melbourne School of Engineering.
During his appointment of the University of Melbourne Professor Dagastine has been an ARC Future Fellow (2010 - 2014) and a Senior Technology Fellow at the Melbourne Centre of Nanofabrication (2012 - 2015).
Dagastine is also the initiative chair of the Materials Research Hallmark Initiative at the University of Melbourne and is the academic leader of a the Materials Characterisation and Fabrication Platform .
His research interests are in the area of particulate and droplet interfacial phenomena, emulsion stability and deformable surfaces. He is a leading researcher in developing experimental methods and theoretical analytical tools to study interaction forces between deformable liquid-liquid interfaces using both optical techniques and atomic force microscopy.
He also has research interests in structure in complex fluids, non-equilibrium surface forces, and protein interactions and nanomechanical properties of capsules and micro-particles.
- Jamieson EJ, Fewkes CJ, Berry J, Dagastine R. Forces between oil drops in polymer-surfactant systems: Linking direct force measurements to microfluidic observations. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2019, Vol. 544. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2019.02.051
- Zychowski LM, Mettu S, Dagastine R, Kelly AL, O'Mahony JA, Auty MAE. Physical and interfacial characterization of phytosterols in oil-in-water triacylglycerol-based emulsions. FOOD STRUCTURE-NETHERLANDS. Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 19. DOI: 10.1016/j.foostr.2018.11.001
- Moore T, Biviano M, Mumford K, Dagastine R, Stevens G, Webley P. Solvent Impregnated Polymers for Carbon Capture. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. American Chemical Society. 2019. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.8b05603
- Rao NRH, Granville AM, Browne C, Dagastine R, Yap R, Jefferson B, Henderson RK. Determining how polymer-bubble interactions impact algal separation using the novel "Posi"-dissolved air flotation process. SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 201. DOI: 10.1016/j.seppur.2018.03.003
- Mettu S, Wu C, Dagastine R. Dynamic forces between emulsified water drops coated with Poly-Glycerol-Poly-Ricinoleate (PGPR) in canola oil. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2018, Vol. 517. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2018.01.104
- Ding H, Mettu S, Dagastine R, Rahman SH. Ion tuned water can greatly enhance alteration of carbonate surface to water-wet. SPE/AAPG/SEG Unconventional Resources Technology Conference 2018, URTC 2018. 2018. DOI: 10.15530/urtec-2018-2902143
- Boni LJ, Sanchez-Ferrer A, Widmer M, Biviano M, Mezzenga R, Windhab EJ, Dagastine R, Fischer P. Structure and Nanomechanics of Dry and Hydrated Intermediate Filament Films and Fibers Produced from Hagfish Slime Fibers. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 47. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b17166
- Ye Q, Mettu S, Zhou M, Dagastine R, Ashokkumar M. Ultrasonically synthesized organic liquid-filled chitosan microcapsules: part 1: tuning physical & functional properties. SOFT MATTER. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2018, Vol. 14, Issue 16. DOI: 10.1039/c8sm00064f
- Mettu S, Ye Q, Zhou M, Dagastine R, Ashokkumar M. Ultrasonically synthesized organic liquid-filled chitosan microcapsules: part 2: characterization using AFM (atomic force microscopy) and combined AFM-confocal laser scanning fluorescence microscopy. SOFT MATTER. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2018, Vol. 14, Issue 16. DOI: 10.1039/c8sm00065d
- Mettu S, Berry J, Dagastine R. Charge and Film Drainage of Colliding Oil Drops Coated with the Nonionic Surfactant C12E5. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 33, Issue 20. DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.6b04632
- Reis R, Duke MC, Tardy B, Oldfield D, Dagastine R, Orbell JD, Dumee LF. Charge tunable thin-film composite membranes by gamma-ray triggered surface polymerization. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-04900-5
- Allioux F-M, Garvey CJ, Rehm C, Tardy B, Dagastine R, Hodgson PD, Kong L, Dumee LF. Insights into Free Volume Variations across Ion-Exchange Membranes upon Mixed Solvents Uptake by Small and Ultrasmall Angle Neutron Scattering. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.6b15958
- Berry J, Dagastine R. Mapping coalescence of micron-sized drops and bubbles. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 487. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2016.10.040
- Veytskin YB, Tammina VK, Bobko CP, Hartley PG, Clennell MB, Dewhurst DN, Dagastine R. Micromechanical characterization of shales through nanoindentation and energy dispersive x-ray spectrometry. GEOMECHANICS FOR ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 9. DOI: 10.1016/j.gete.2016.10.004
- Berry J, Mettu S, Dagastine R. Precise measurements of capsule mechanical properties using indentation. SOFT MATTER. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017, Vol. 13, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1039/c6sm02841a
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile